2019 is the year of authenticity. It is the year of #nofilter. Instagram users are increasingly demanding more real and authentic content. Instagram marketers need to take note of that when searching for influencers.
1. The year of the relatable influencer
Instagram users are looking for authenticity from influencers. There have been too much picture-perfect aesthetics and unrealistic lifestyles from Instagram influencers. This has resulted in Instagram vs. Reality memes. This has led to a new kind of influencer; the relatable influencer.
People are on social media to relate with others. That is why the relatable influencer will win the day in 2019. Openness and transparency will go a long way to help an influencer to connect with an audience.
- Instagram marketers will need to change their strategies and work with more relatable influencers if they want to maximize their ROI.
2. Instagram Marketers Will Substitute Models and Celebrities for Real People
Instagram marketers will have a diverse pool of influencers. In 2019, anyone with authenticity, a loyal following, and credibility will be able to become an influencer.
2019 is the year of the changing influencer. There will be nano, micro, mid-tier, macro, and celebrity influencers.
3. Brands Will no Longer Be Interested in Partnering with Safe Influencers
Instagram marketing is all about engagement. Controversial or risky influencers are more authentic. Thus, they offer higher engagement for brands.
4. Expect To See More Real Talk from Influencers
Expect to see zits, stretch marks, pimples, and other body insecurities. There will be real talk about mental health issues. Mommy blogger Laura Izumikawa who shares about the challenges of parenting is gaining popularity on Instagram. Jen Gotch, an Instagrammer who shares on bipolar disorder and anxiety is also gaining followers.
- Brands will need to think about partnering with influencers who deal with real-life issues.
5. Fake Engagement Will Continue being a Big Issue
There are many fraudulent influencers who use fake engagement to deceive marketers. Every year, Instagram marketers lose billions of dollars because of fraudulent influencers. Instagram has a big bot problem. In 2019, Instagram will continue to develop new technologies for fighting engagement bots.
- In 2019, more influencers will be on the lookout for fraudulent influencers and fake engagement. Many Instagram marketers will turn to services like Social Vex to verify the authenticity of influencers and detect fake engagement
6. Many Instagram Marketers Will Focus on ROI
Measuring return on investment on influencer marketing has always been a challenge. With marketers investing millions of dollars in influencer marketing, there will be a growing need to calculate and report the ROI of influencer campaigns.
Influencer marketing is evolving because of the ever-evolving needs of the typical Instagram user. Many social media users are no longer interested in glitzy and unrealistic lifestyles. They want real talk. This is something that brands will need to consider when it comes to selecting influencers. Other issues of concern include ROI and fraudulent influencers.